Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

TV Zombie

With the best of intentions, and more than a little self-satisfaction, I canceled my cable.  I was excited to free up my time and money to focus on more high-minded pursuits.  Maybe I would learn to play the piccolo, or read Voltaire, or at the very least figure out who Voltaire was.  Plus, I would be able to lord my new sophistication over my TV watching friends.  Whenever I found myself ensnared in the inevitable conversation about Snooki’s antics, or the bloviating of a cable news talking-head, I would be able to derisively assure the person that I had no idea what they were going on about.  “What is this Snooki?” I would say, maybe while worrying the chain on my monocle.

Well, it’s been a few months, and as a librarian I’m a little reluctant to report that not having cable leaves a lot to be desired.  This is especially true since I haven’t actually stop watching TV; I’ve just lowered my expectations to the point where I’m willing to fuss with rabbit ears for half an hour to catch a few glimpses of a rerun of The King of Queens.  Today, I’m pre-mourning missing out on the new fall lineup, particularly the second season of The Walking Dead on AMC.  If you missed the first season, let me deconstruct the plot a little bit:  Zombies.   Season Two starts on October 16, which gives me a couple more months to determine if maybe cable and I are just on a break.   In the meantime, I can read the graphic novels that inspired the show or borrow a copy of Season One to relive some zombie unpleasantness (remember that poor horse?) and hopefully slake my cable jones.

Since we’re on the subject of zombies, check out this recent article in the New York Times about zombies in literature – clearly they’re the thinking-man’s/woman's paranormal antagonists du jour (and you can find almost all of the titles mentioned in the article right here at LPL).

Ransom - Reference

No comments: